Friday, March 20, 2009

Preparing for Day 1 of chemo...Today, Charmaine had a tunnel picc line put in her chest for easier access for IV's and drawing blood, then she finally had the spinal tap (a test determining if the leukemia cells have entered the spinal cord and/or the brain). Her first treatment was intrathecal (meaning shot directly into her spinal fluid) called Methotrexate, which was a very quick procedure. She has fought a headache and nausea all day, starting early this morning. Tonite she is beginning chemo which will be given in doses for the next 4 days, and again on the 11th day. Her stay in the hospital is going to be longer than we thought...prob 3+ weeks. But her spirit remains positive...worrying about us and not herself! The chemo drugs if you're interested are: Cytarabine, Vincristine, Daunorubicin, and maybe one more that I didn't get the name of. She is going to be very weak and feeling sick alot, so if you're thinking of visiting her, please call to check...it may not be the best time. Her immune system is being wiped out so she could get sick very easily.

It was kinda tough today for me and dad seeing other chemo patients and realizing what we have ahead...but we can do this!! We know God is with us every step of the way.

Many friends have been asking, "How can we see if we are a bone marrow match?" You can go to www.marrow.org to register and receive a swab kit. The cost is $52 for the kit. If your tissue is a match for anyone on the patient list, they will call you. It's a slim chance that her match will be someone she knows, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks for all the prayers. Nat is with her tonight, so I'm sure she will update soon...

Stefanie

4 comments:

  1. I am keeping Charmaine in my thoughts and prayers. I know it is hard to go through this, as I was with Jim through his radiation treatments for his cancer. Thanks you for starting this blog so we can keep up with her progress.

    Karen Eidson

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for Mrs. Charmaine! I am on the national marrow transplant list. I encourage everyone I know to get typed. You can get typed for free if you go to a drive. I think I googled free marrow typing or something and there was a drive at the college in my town - perfect! I have a friend from college who was typed and donated to a stranger and saved her life!!!! What a gift it would be to do that for someone -- what a great way to show the love of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched my daughter Connie, who happens to be Charmaine's daughter-in-law, suffer with cancer (Lymphoma) too. It is heart-wrenching to watch someone you love suffer through this horrible disease, but through God's grace & mercy and the advances of cancer research, we are WINNING/SHE WILL WIN this battle!! Please know that I am praying for sweet, sweet Charmaine every day and including her in my efforts with RELAY FOR LIFE. It is wonderful you have this forum for updates and for people to leave heartfelt messages for CC. Staff at Emory may soon limit visitors to immediate family, which IS in the best interest of the patient since her immune system will soon be that of a "newborn baby", and she would be so susceptible to germs and infection. This way CC can read or someone can read to her the encouraging words from those who love her so dearly.....like me and Dick. :o) Love to all of you as you face each day knowing that God holds each of you in the palm of his hand..... Donna & Dick Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's presence and love are beyond anything I could say. Sam and Charmaine we love you, you both have been such good friends over the years. Marcia and I are so thankful for your presence in our lives. I know words can't make what you are going through any easier, but please know that we love you guys and pray for God's continued intervention. It never ceases to amaze me that we can go several years and not see you and when we do it as if we see each other every day. Our hearts are aching for you and our prayers are ever before the throne for Charmaine's healing. Stephanie, Natalie, and Casey you are all special, may God hold you in his arms and hide you under his wings... In God's love Rodney and Marcia Otwell

    ReplyDelete