Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday June 3rd........Back at Emory..Round# 4

We arrived here at 8am. At Emory you can call in and pre-register for admission. It is called fast track registering. When we pull in she goes to the lab for blood work and I go to admissions. Usually I have her belongings in the room all set up before she finishes at the lab. This speeds the process up. The faster they can start the chemo, the faster we come home. If you don't know the process you can easily waste one day.

All settled in now and the 1st type chemo has started. As I have said before the chemo goes in the iv just as any fluids are given in an iv. Some are clear and some are colored, red or green. Some small bags go in 30 minutes some are for 24 to 36 hrs. Lots of pre-meds are given before it starts to prevent or minimize the side effects.

She still has some stomach pains but not severe. Right now she is making laps around the floor getting in all the exercise she can. She just pushes the iv cart with her when she walks.

This time here we are in room 821E. This is the bone marrow transplant floor. The nurse we have has been here 30 years doing nothing but bone marrow transplants. She has been an unbelievable encouragement to Charmaine telling her all about what happens. She has been able to take some of the fears away telling her 1st hand what goes on and what to expect. I think it was a God send that we were put here. We are adjacent to the helicopter landing pad. It is 2 stories higher than us, maybe 40 yards away from the window. It's really interesting to watch them. The noise is not very offensive.

She is the best spirits I have seen her when starting a round.

There 2 patients on this floor that have the flu, so extra precautions are in effect. We can't go to the kitchen and must wear masks when out of the room. No one had to tell us to wear a mask. That's all we need is for one or both of us to get the flu.

Please pray that we, or our girls, do not catch the flu while here this week.

I am sorry if any of you call either her or me and I do not return your call. Sometimes I just forget. Please forgive me if that happens. Sometimes she just can't talk. Huffy I am sorry I did not call you back yesterday. I just forgot.

Will keep you posted.


Sam

1 comment:

  1. Many prayers for you all as Round 4 begins. We are believing for minimal side effects and for good spirits to continue this week. Please know we are lifting you up to the Lord every day!!!
    xoxoxo,
    James and Kristi

    ReplyDelete